As we get older, health and mobility issues may impair our ability to properly shower, dress, bend and do other simple tasks. These limitations can be very frustrating.
Surprisingly, there are a wide variety of household products that are available to make life easier. They are not only helping seniors to stay safe at home, these independent living products for older adults also give peace of mind to you. By increasing independence, elderly are likely to feel more happy.
Here are 10 personal care aids that can help seniors to go through their daily routine easily and safely.
- Button hook – Button Hook dressing aid encourages independence in the elderly, individuals living alone or anyone needing help with buttoning.
- Zipper puller – Being able to pull up your own zippers is a major part of dressing independently. It’s an invaluable tool for individuals with limited reach and or strength.
- Sock aid – Perfect for those recovering from surgery, injury or those with limited mobility. The sock assist opens the sock and positions it to easily glide on the foot without bending down, twisting around or reaching over. Sock assist allows you to easily put on your own sock or hosiery.
- Long-handled shoe horn – The long-handled shoe horn allows you to slip on any pair of shoes without straining to squeeze your foot into them.
- Anti-slip shower mat – Moisture and humidity levels make bathroom surfaces slippery and its occupants more accident-prone. Using a non-slip shower mat is an easy way to boost safety in the bathroom.
- Long-reach toilet aid – Great solution for people who experience difficulty cleansing and wiping in hard to reach places.
- Shower & bath chair – Bath chairs allow seniors and the disabled a safe, comfortable and stable place to sit while bathing.
- Toilet safety rails and safety shower grab bar – Allowing the elderly and disabled as well as post-op patients to take care of their everyday needs while reducing fall risk.
- Automatic pill dispenser – Are you tired of trying to keep track of what pills to take at what time? A portable pill organizer and dispenser allows you to fill and set your dispenser once monthly. The dispenser can be locked at all times to prevent accidental overdose in forgetful patients.
- Pill crusher – Perfect for those with dexterity issues or weakness in the hands. It’s one of those must-have independent living products.
Living alone can be possible if you are an elderly. All the must-haves described above will improve your quality of life significantly while still maintaining your independence. Living in your own home, being able to do things on your own doesn’t have to be difficult.
While all the must-haves described above are handy and can help seniors maintain their independence, a personal home care provider might be the best choice for your family. Our caregivers are eager to make a difference in the lives of our senior clients. Give us a call!
All amazon links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by AHCS of any of the products.